Thursday, April 21, 2011

Such is life

Does it ever end? To all you experienced Momma's out there...when can you start talking about DS problems to your regular friends and not have them get "weird"? Does it ever go away? I thought things have been going along fine...so I started to tell a story and BAM...weirdness. Instant change of conversation. It is like I can't utter the words "Down syndrome". Sigh. Even the oldest of friends. The best of friends. The closest of siblings and NO ONE gets it. I feel closer then ever to people I don't know as well. I can't tell you where they work, what their birthdays are but I can tell you about their child, their name, their age, their medical status, their doctors. And isn't that what matters the most to us when it all boils down to it? Our children? Our health? A few weeks ago I went to the Pujols Foundation New mothers lunch. Looking around the room and seeing 40 other women who "get it" was AHHHHHHMAZING! They have been there, done that, felt that, thought that and everything else that comes along with this journey..  Some have had it easier or harder then others, regarding OHS, seizures, severity,acceptance but we are all in this together. We support each other.We are family. Our kids are alike. Our kids will grow up together. This is our own little world. Right after Alyssa was born I remember telling my husband that I didn't want all this special needs life. I didn't want to meet other families, I didn't want to be an advocate. I didn't want my life to be special needs. And while my life is far from only special needs, it is a great, big and IMPORTANT part of it. I have embraced it. I have embraced this as my new life and I know that some days I need these people more then others. Some days when other friends just don't get it, I NEED them to understand. And some days when I'm special needs maxed out and I just need to talk about 10 years ago when everything wasn't so complicated, I need my seniors. A balancing act. Such is life. Such is life.

1 comment:

  1. We did not do any testing at all with our second one. Just didn't see the need. If we've learned anything from Braska, it's that we can handle what comes, so we just went with it and didn't worry. (Truthfully, my husband was hoping Kinlee would have DS, too. We've sure come a long way!)

    ReplyDelete